Stroke of the Brain Stem: Everything About It
A stroke of the brainstem is a disturbance of blood supply to the specified site of a brain that occurs quickly and unexpectedly. Brain stem stroke is one of the most dangerous clinical conditions. Thus, it is essential to remember the symptoms to call emergency services on time.
The brain stem is the part of the human brain that connects our mind with the spinal cord.
The main reasons for brain stem stroke are:
- Ischemic stroke
- Hemorrhagic stroke
Symptoms of the Ischemic strokes in the brain stem
- Disorientation. There is a possibility that brain stem stroke will make the person feel disorientated. Besides that, the person can think that the body is moving when a person stays still and can lead to vomiting.
- Alteration of hearing. Ischemic brain stem strokes tend to make a person hear sounds when none are present. Besides that, the person can become more sensitive to sounds or frequencies, also known as hyperacusis.
- Strange eye movements. The following symptom of the ischemic stroke of the brain stem will be the strange behavior of the person’s eyes. The eyes may involuntarily move from side to side or up and down. One eye may stay off-center, or the eyelid may appear droopy, and pupils will become smaller. Eye movements can cause disorientation and dizziness, mentioned higher.
- Loss of muscle control. Sometimes, the person can’t control their muscles properly; this is a medical condition known as ataxia. Loss of muscle control can lead to disorientation and dizziness.
- Problems with speech. A person affected by stroke can experience difficulties in speaking. The medics know this condition as dysarthria. There might be problems with speech, or the patient is unable to talk at all.
- Bad perception. It is common for patients with brain stem stroke to feel high temperature or pain; this can affect certain parts of the body, but they can perceive sensations in the wrong place
- Distinctive breathing patterns. Many affected by the stroke of the brain stem find it challenging to breathe in a regular pattern. Only a qualified doctor can help to back to normal breathing.
Symptoms of brain stem hemorrhages
An ischemic stroke is more common. However, it does occur, and it is a hazardous condition. The brain stem hemorrhage stroke occurs when bleeding begins in the brain stem. The consequences can be very unexpected and even lead to death, thus, it is vital to know how to distinguish it and call 911.
The most common symptoms of brain stem hemorrhage are:
- The person can’t see straight with eyes moving out of their normal position
- Weakness in both the arms and the legs
- Hard to breathe, eat or swallow
- Loss of consciousness and coma
The main reason for strokes in the brain stem
The brain stem stroke appears when the blood supply stops flowing to a specific part of the brain stem. This is due to a blockage in the blood vessels (ischemic stroke) or bleeding in the blood vessels supplying the brain stem (hemorrhagic stroke).
What are the reasons for Ischemic stroke of the brain stem?
This condition occurs when fatty deposits pile up on the walls of arteries; this leads to them becoming harder, narrower, and blocked.
Small vessel disease
Small vessel disease is a general term that describes the series of abnormal changes to the small arteries and veins in the brain. This disease leads to tiny bleeds or minor blockages that reduce blood flow. Continued damage to the blood vessels increases the risk of a stroke.
Artery dissection is a widespread cause of stroke in patients aged under 45. This condition happens when the inner lining becomes torn, which leads to blood build-up; this can create blood clots that will block the artery and cause ischemic stroke. Besides that, it weakens the artery wall and bulges outwards. There is a possibility that it will lead to hemorrhagic stroke if this structure fails to hold.
What causes Hemorrhagic stroke of the brain stem?
The principal amount of damage is done by the bleeding in and/or around the brain. The blood damages the brain tissue that is surrounding the brain. This damage can lead to further swelling and inflammation within the core, creating it under more pressure.
A big part of the brain injury is caused by the initial bleed. However, continued bleeding can lead to more complications; this is why it is crucial to get to the emergency room as soon as possible.
In conclusion, we want to note that it is essential to be vigilant about brain stem strokes. Ischemic stroke is terrible and can lead to severe consequences in the future. However, Hemorrhagic stroke is much more dangerous. The Hemorrhagic stroke of the brain stem can lead to irreversible changes or even kill the victim. Don’t take the strokes easily, and call 911 as soon as you notice one of the symptoms in yourself or your acquaintances. It can save their lives.
We hope that you discovered something new in this article. Our team put a lot of effort into creating this piece, and we thank you for reading it to the end. Stay safe and have a wonderful day. See you in the next one.