Severe morning lightheadedness occurs when trying to get up suddenly. It is additionally accompanied by a feeling that you are spinning or moving. Such dizziness in the morning can appear due to the following:
- Cervical osteochondrosis;
- Low blood sugar;
- Psychoneurological diseases;
Every person, at least once, felt giddiness after waking up. Usually, this state lasts no more than one minute. But it causes discomfort. This manifestation of your body is not a disease. But this condition can be caused by pathologies of the cardiovascular system or disorders of a neurological nature. That is, morning vertigo can be a severe signal of specific diseases. But if you detect this problem in time, you can quickly cure it. Doctors usually recommend a healthy lifestyle in the first place. And you should also give up bad habits. Besides, you need to take the drugs and vitamins the doctor prescribes.
How does dizziness work?
Vertigo is a false sense of body movement in space. But at that time, such a movement actually did not exist in reality. As a rule, the imaginary movement has a rotational character. But some patients have a feeling of unidirectional movement to the side. That is, dizziness works differently for everyone. Regardless of how it manifests, it causes significant discomfort and reduced performance. Sometimes dizziness is accompanied by nausea and vomiting. And it has a terrible effect on the body. After all, such a feeling causes general weakness and loss of human concentration. And it can happen at any moment. Besides, if it occurs when a person is driving or doing some physical work, it is a particular obstacle. But most often, a person feels dizzy when waking up. It misleads a person that they have not slept enough. As a result, you get weak and sleepy from the beginning of the day.
Vertigo occurs when one of the three anatomical systems in the body starts to stimulate. It includes vestibular, visual, and muscular:
- It can happen if, for example, carousels rotate quickly.
- But dizziness can be a disease symptom if it is not associated with a clear cause.
- It can also occur in connection with the defeat of the peripheral departments of the vestibular nerve.
Any of these cases are causes for dizziness in the morning. And it works in a way that causes inevitable failures in your body. It provokes various disorders and discomfort in everyday life. After all, dizziness in the morning spoils not only your mood but also your productivity for the rest of the day.
Causes for Dizziness in the Morning
Dizziness when getting out of bed can be a consequence of positional vertigo. Or it can appear as a result of more severe problems. It includes heart attack, stroke, oncological disease, and nervous system pathologies.
Dizziness affects at least 20% of the population aged 18 to 65. It can be due to medication, panic, ear problems, and the like. And the problem is that most people do not attach importance to it. Most believe that waking up with vertigo is not something critical. Yes, it is not a disease or pathology. Sometimes it is normal if, for example, you are pregnant or have had a heavy physical load. But the appearance of dizziness in the morning without reason is not the norm.
A healthy body can not simply put you in a state of dizziness. If you encounter this regularly, it is a sign of a disorder. Thus, you should look for a reason for it being in such a state. Pathologies of various systems and organs can cause giddiness. So, if it happens to you in the morning, the causes for dizziness in the morning can be as follows:
1. Cervical osteochondrosis
This disease occurs due to the vertebrae’s deformation and their incorrect location. It leads to the fact that they compress the artery that carries blood to the brain:
- At night, the sleeper unconsciously assumes a position where the artery suffers even more.
- As a result, a person wakes up with vertigo.
- Dizziness with this disease is combined with other symptoms.
- It includes tinnitus, headache, tingling sensation, and lightheadedness.
2. Old age
Older people often experience dizziness and nausea after sleep:
- The reasons for this phenomenon lie in the thinning of blood vessels. And it also happens due to deformations of the cervical spine.
- Besides, feeling lightheaded when waking up in the elderly is due to violating the normal functioning of the vestibular apparatus.
- Studies can explain this phenomenon. The older a person gets, the less their body can function correctly.
3. Diseases of the blood
Almost all blood diseases are accompanied by morning vertigo. For example, atherosclerosis makes a person feel nauseous almost every day after sleep. So, here is why you get dizzy with blood diseases:
- The fact is that a change in the composition of the blood accompanies these ailments.
- When this happens, the brain and other organs do not receive the substances they need in enough quantities. And this is one of the leading causes of dizziness in the morning.
4. Taking medication
Often, people complain of light-headedness early and general malaise. And most of them do not suspect that it is because of the drugs they are taking. So, if you wake up and feel woozy, this can be a side effect of some medications:
- The reason more often is taking antihistamines, sleeping pills, and antidepressants.
- Besides, it can be due to the use of tranquilizers and antibiotics.
You can wake up with vertigo because your body needs more water. Without sufficient fluid, blood volume decreases, and blood pressure drops. As a result, your brain doesn’t get enough oxygen, and you feel unsteady. In addition, you can feel the manifestation of other symptoms:
- dizziness or light-headedness;
- dry mouth, lips, and eyes;
- passing small amounts of urine infrequently.
These symptoms can be especially pronounced if you drank too much alcohol the day before.
6. Low blood sugar
A sharp drop in blood sugar occurs as a result of poor nutrition. It leads to a lack of glucose. And when it is not enough in the body, the work of organs slows down:
- The brain starts to suffer.
- Small vessels begin to destroy.
- You feel a general weakness.
So, it’s how with low blood sugar, you can be dizzy when waking up.
Sleep apnea is associated with irregular and intermittent breathing during sleep. Often, people who snore at night complain of unsteadiness early in the morning. And this can lead to a decrease in the blood’s oxygen level. And when a person has a low oxygen level in the blood, the brain can’t perform its work typically. It leads to the following consequences:
- At night, during snoring, you gradually block oxygen access.
- Along with this, it weakens your strength.
- As a result, in the morning, you feel dizzy.
What to Do with Dizziness in the Morning?
When you are dizzy when waking up, try to sit next to an open window. Fresh air helps to feel better. A morning contrast shower will also help you deal with this. But not to encounter this regularly, you should follow the following tips:
If there are no extra symptoms, but dizziness occurs occasionally, consult a neurologist as soon as possible. It will help establish a diagnosis.
- Adjust nutrition
You need to eat correctly not to feel weak and suffer from dizziness in the morning. Adjust the glucose level in the blood and saturate the body with nutrients.
- Drink enough water
Dehydration not only provokes dizziness. It dries the body so much that you feel very weak. So, drinking a regular amount of water every day is necessary.
- Follow your sleep schedule
Spend the right amount of time on your sleep. Sleep disorders are a frequent cause of dizziness. Thus, it is important to adjust your sleep mode to avoid this.
By following these rules, you can avoid morning discomfort. The main thing is to control the humidity and temperature in the room.
A Word From LoneStar
When dizziness in the morning occurs, it is crucial to pay attention to extra symptoms. Because, in most cases, it can indicate neurological diseases. That is why it is essential to consult a neurologist in time. And Lone Star Neurologists can help you with that. We have many years of experience in the field of neurology. So we can easily diagnose and treat you.
- How long does morning vertigo last?
It usually happens suddenly and lasts for a few seconds. In case of deterioration, it can last several days.
- Can high blood pressure cause dizziness?
Yes. If you have high blood pressure, it can cause dizziness. It happens especially in the morning.
- What age does morning vertigo start?
It can start at any age. But most often, it occurs in older people. It includes people over 55.
- Will vertigo clear up on its own?
It depends on the cause of the dizziness. But in any case, it is better to consult a neurologist. Doctors can solve this problem faster.