Do you have numbness and tingling in your hands, but you take it as usual physical overwork? It is worth doing a carpal tunnel self test. Such symptoms can state carpal tunnel syndrome. Here are examples of self-diagnosis that you can do:
- Tinel’s test;
- Phalen’s test;
- The bent arm test;
- Durkan test.
Experts specially developed such tests for self-diagnosis. After all, everyone can have such symptoms as weakness and sharp tingling in the limbs. But for someone, it can be due to ordinary physical exertion. And for someone, it can be due to the manifestation of carpal tunnel condition. So, if you have suspected this disease, take a test. It does not take much time and can help clarify your health status.
Also, it prevents the further development of this syndrome. A person with carpal tunnel syndrome can have just one or a whole range of symptoms. Over time, they can change for the worse. So, it is important to detect this disease early and know how to check yourself for carpal tunnel.
Is it Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
This disease is a set of uncomfortable symptoms. They can interfere with a person’s everyday life. Usually, this disease occurs in people who have median nerve compression under the transverse ligament of the wrist:
- It occurs between the bony walls and the thick ligament.
- It passes to the finger flexors there.
- When the connective tissue around the tendon becomes inflamed, it starts swelling.
- It increases the pressure in the middle of the carpal tunnel.
- This way, it causes unpleasant and often painful sensations.
So, if you have suspicions about this syndrome, do the wrist pain symptom checker. Now, this syndrome spreads more often. So specialists have created carpal tunnel syndrome tests you can do at home. It can help you to define this syndrome easier.
How Does This Syndrome Occur?
It can occur if a person is engaged in the same work for a long time. For example, it can occur when:
- You sit at the computer for a long time; you can have pain in your hands.
- Also, it can be drivers because their hands are in one position for a long time. That is the hands that are constantly under tension.
This manifestation of the disease can occur even at night during sleep. So, if you do not make the carpal tunnel diagnosis in time, it can disrupt the blood supply to the nerve. Also, it can lead to sleep disorders due to limb pain.
Carpal Tunnel Symptoms
It all starts with the fact that weakness appears in the hands. But for us, this is a common symptom. After all, hands can be weak after any physical activity. That is why we ignore it and do not emphasize carpal tunnel self-diagnosis. So, to make it easier to suspect, pay attention to the following symptoms. All they state carpal tunnel syndrome:
- Numbness of hands;
- Frequent tingling and pain in the fingers;
- Increased or decreased sensitivity of the soft tissues of the hands;
- There are unpleasant sensations when clenching the palm into a fist;
- Night cramps in the wrists;
- Fingers become less mobile;
- It becomes difficult to control and manage the hand.
In patients with carpal tunnel syndrome, there is a feeling of getting goosebumps. Doing something with the hands becomes difficult, and unexpected pains appear in the wrists. It can also be numbness that most often manifests itself in the thumb, index, and middle fingers.
Thus, once you observe some of these symptoms, do the carpal tunnel syndrome test at home. It will help detect the disease in the early stages. But if you ignore this, the signs in the later stages can be many times worse. And it can even lead to surgical intervention.
Carpal Tunnel Self Test
If you suspect this disease, it is crucial to know how to check yourself for carpal tunnel. To do this, you can conduct a test at home. There are several options, so you can use the ones that are more convenient for you:
Raised Hands Test
- Lift the upper limbs vertically up;
- Hold them in this position for a minute;
- With a positive result, unpleasant sensations appear after 30-40 seconds.
- Extend your arm straight in front of you;
- With the fingers of the other hand, press on the transverse carpal ligament;
- Keep your fingers pressed for 40-50 seconds;
- Did you experience symptoms of the syndrome after this wrist pain symptom checker? If so, you need to treat it.
- Place the affected hand on a flat surface with the palm facing up;
- With the other hand, tap the middle part of the affected wrist;
- You probably have carpal tunnel syndrome if you feel tingling or numbness in your hand.
Bending the Arm
- Bend your hand as much as possible;
- Hold in this position for up to 1 minute;
- If you have numbness in your fingers, you have the syndrome.
- While holding your fingers straight, flex your wrist gently as far as possible;
- You can do this with your other hand;
- Do this for 30-60 seconds;
- You have this syndrome if you have pain, weakness, or numbness in your fingers while doing this.
If, after these tests, you find this syndrome in yourself, contact specialists. They can determine carpal tunnel self-diagnosis and prescribe treatment for it.
A Word From Lone Star Neurology
The usual tingling of the limbs can signal the appearance of severe disease. So, if the symptoms of this disease often bother you, you should do a carpal tunnel syndrome test at home. But if you are unsure about the result, contact specialists.
Our Lone Star Neurologists have many years of experience in the medical field. So you can consult us for diagnostics. We will help determine the possibility of potential disease and undergo complete treatment if necessary.
Can you fix the carpal tunnel by yourself?
You should not engage in self-medication. It is recommended to seek medical advice and treatment from a qualified healthcare professional.
What is the main cause of carpal tunnel syndrome?
Incorrect position of the hand during physical activity can cause carpal tunnel syndrome. Long work at the computer can also be a reason for this. It happens due to the effect of pressure on the median nerve.
Can carpal tunnel exercises relieve the symptoms?
Unfortunately, exercises for carpal tunnel can not alleviate the manifestation of this syndrome. It is better to use therapeutic methods of treatment or wrist splints. It copes with painful sensations and relieves symptoms.
How quickly does carpal tunnel syndrome progress?
The progression of carpal tunnel syndrome depends on whether you treat it. The disease can go into a worse phase over several years. And if you ignore symptoms, it can progress in a few months.