Everything you should know about Camptocormia
Camptocormia is a neurological disorder that results in bent back syndrome. So, the patient often walks with a back bent forward. Yet the spine position changes when a person lies down, for instance. Quite often this syndrome occurs in people struggling with Parkinson disease. But it is not necessarily a symptom, particularly of this disease.
Parkinson’s disease is a slowly progressive chronic neurological illness. People of elder age are the biggest group of risk. The unpleasant truth about this disease is not only in the number of various disorders and syndromes that occur due to this. But physicians haven’t found a cure for it yet. This disease is caused by the destruction and death of certain neurons that produce dopamine. The lack of dopamine results in the deceleration of some signals that have to enter the cerebral cortex.
Parkinson’s disease and parkinsonism should not be confused, as the second term usually implies a group of particular neurological disorders, with common neurological symptoms, including Parkinson’s disease and camptocormia. So, PD is just one of a group of disorders. Camptocormia can occur as a symptom of multiple neurological disorders. So let’s take a closer look at it!
History of Camptocormia
The diagnosis was opened by Alexandre-Achille Souques (French neurologist) and B. Rosanoff-Saloff. Camptocormia was actively studied by these two neurologists during the time of WWI. At first, they assumed that it was a disorder of a psychogenic cause and put it on the list of conversion disorders.
Conversion disorders are specific reactions of the organism on some stressful and even traumatic for human’s psychic events. This usually resulted in some body disorders, like paralysis, for instance.
Indeed, they considered the traumatic experience on the battlefields as the reason for camptocormia occurrence. It was believed so until the Second World War. This misconception led to several inaccurate diagnoses and therefore ways of treatment. But with time, the knowledge in neurology increased and finally the right roots of the Camptocormia were found out.
All in all, bent spine syndrome is a serious symptom that can’t be taken lightly. But with an examination done in time, you have a chance to cure it. You see, you have to address only to a specialist of the neurological branch. Therefore, you will get appropriate medical treatment. In any case don’t try to treat it yourself, as there is a big chance you will not succeed.
Camptocormia syndrome causes and symptoms
So, as we have mentioned above, camptocormia is a symptom of numerous neurological disorders. Mostly it occurs in elderly people. This symptom is easily identified by the extreme bending of the spine in the standing position (usually about 40-45 and more degrees). But what are the exact reasons for this symptom’s occurrence?
This disorder can be a result of many other illnesses:
- muscular disorders;
- endocrine disorders;
- inflammatory conditions;
- mitochondrial myopathies.
Therefore, many physicians distinguish two ways of its occurrence: muscular and neurological.
- Muscular. The origin of muscular camptocormia disorder is:
- Various disorders in the work of muscle fibers (myopathy).
- Some physicians proved that this illness can also be of an idiopathic character (diseases of an unknown cause and mechanism of progression. Camptocormia often occurs spontaneously and is known as psychosomatics).
Usually, myopathy is a secondary reason for Camptocormia occurrence. Unfortunately, this type of Bent spine syndrome is more common among women.
Yet, the myopathic origin of this spinal functional disorder considerably complicates the definition of the causes. Usually, the reasons are various: inflammatory diseases or neuromuscular disorders.
- The neurological origin of camptocormia includes various neurological disorders that cause muscle disorder or atrophy. For instance, motor neuron diseases and CNS disorders. They often also cause dysfunction of the back muscles, caused by some neurological origin. Camptocormia may also occur because of some damages to the cerebral cortex parts, which are responsible for your positioning or movement.
Brain damages may definitely induce the violations of accepting certain signals that imply the proper work of muscles. The most common root of Camptocormia is Parkinson’s disease. The low level of dopamine disturbs the proper work of spinal muscles.
Symptoms. Common symptoms of Bent spine syndrome are:
- Overall body weakness, especially in spinal muscles.
- Fast fatigue.
- Change in posture ( extreme forward bending of the body).
Neurological disorders are often very common in their symptoms. We have listed those which will help to differentiate camptocormia from any other common disorder. Yet the full list of general neurological disorders signals your body might send you includes a bit more of them. Remember that you require a proper consultation with a professional physician. And there is a big chance you will need some additional tests, besides a consultation. Thus, you will boost your chances of a proper treatment program.
Treatment of Camptocormia
Many people mistake the arising symptoms for simple pain, so don’t visit the specialist. Instead of getting a professional’s inspection, they decide to treat it on their own. A common decision when people feel certain pain or discomfort in their back is to go for spinal manipulation.
Yes, spinal manipulation can have a positive effect on the treatment of some neurological disorders. But in certain cases, like camptocormia, it may do more harm than good. So, first of all, if something in your body brings you discomfort, go to a doctor. In any case, don’t try to do self-treatment. So, what is the kind of treatment your doctor might prescribe you in case of Camptocormia?
- Roots of occurence of the syndrome. The main reason why you shouldn’t try to cure Bent Spine Syndrome yourself is that the treatment is highly dependent on the origin of the disorder. Muscular and neurological causes require slightly different approaches. For instance, if the root of BSS is neurological then you will need a certain list of drugs and procedures (like neuromodulation). BSS caused by myopathy can be treated with more common ways like active lifestyle, certain physical exercises, diet and of course drugs.
Ways to treat:
Treatment of camptocormia includes:
- the usages of specific drugs;
- pain killers;
- procedures (like electrostimulation, etc.);
- specific diet and lifestyle rules;
- Sometimes BSS can be cured with surgery but due to the old age of patients, this option is often declined. The reason for that is big risks on patients’ health and long periods of recovery;
On the whole, camptocormia is a disease of neurological roots, and so it requires specific treatment. The very first step in choosing the most appropriate treatment for it, is a professional examination. In this case, you will have more information on the causes and symptoms of camptocormia.
- Is camptocormia genetic?
Camptocormia is usually caused by dysfunction of the extensor spinal muscles with a neurological cause. But there’s also a large chance to acquire it hereditary.
- Can camptocormia be cured?
Of course, bent spine syndrome can be cured. But only under a good neurologist’s observation. There are more chances for professional doctors to establish true reasons of BSS occurrence and thus, to prescribe you the right treatment. That will definitely include some medications, procedures and lifestyle changes.
- Is Camptocormia genetic?
Yes, it is. Certain studies have shown that camptocormia can be acquired genetically from your relatives. To minimize the chances of its sudden occurence you should dig up into your family’s diseases history.
- How do I stop stooping in old age?
You can easily prevent yourself of stooping by doing certain exercises, leading an active way of life, and trying to keep you back straight when you sit, stand or walk. Strengthening your back muscles when you are young is a good prevention of stooping in the older age.
- How to improve your posture?
There’s a lot to do. You can always make certain improvements. First of all you should look after yourself to avoid hunching. Moreover, try not to sit with crossed legs. Exercises that build your back muscles are the best options here.